Thursday, September 9, 2021

Digital Asset Creation - Module 1 Week 3 - Use of Silhouettes






In this assignment we were tasked with using thumbnails to create designs that would change the shape of the silhouette of a public domain (or Nintendo) character. I chose to redesign Cinderella with a Norse/Viking theme because I thought the variety of weapons, armor, and furs could dramatically change the shape of the character. I tried to keep some elements consistent to refer back to Disney's version of Cinderella as that is likely the first association that the audience would make. In these thumbnails I tried to keep her body type and face shape consistent. I also kept her blunt round bangs and hid her ears like the Disney design. I also wanted most images to show her shoes so if the design continued to be iterated on I could make glass slippers or boots to refer back to the fairy tale.



The second part of the assignment was to black out the thumbnails as a silhouette. I think some of these silhouettes are more successful than others. I think A is interesting but the body gets lost, and B is similar. C really invokes classic Cinderella posing, so I think that one is very successful in referencing the original character. D, F, G, and H all have the weapons to add interest to the silhouette and I think those are some of the best. Many of the designs have capes or shawls and as bulky clothing items they're especially a challenge to avoid losing the silhouette, but I think despite that they still have interest.


Grade: 100

No comments:

Post a Comment

3D - Seahorse Weapon - Textures and Final Renders

  Schedule         Week 1 : Proxy         Week 2: Sculpt         Week 3a: Retopo, UV,  Material Proxy         Week 3b: Material & Render